It’s time to Nosh! My first recipe I’m sharing with you is my absolute FAVORITE. I have been making Banana Chocolate Chip bread since my childhood growing up in San Diego. It’s become my “go-to” dish…just ask my coworkers! I bring this bread in at least once a month and it’s gone within minutes. You can watch the cooking segment that aired on the news. Just click the link: “Stirring It Up With Stacey”. You’ll hear me say, “It’s healthy”. That’s because it has bananas, dairy, chocolate…ok, maybe not quite healthy, but I can justify anything!!!
It’s a really simple bread to make, as long as you follow the directions. The key: sour cream. I use a few tablespoons of it and then mix in the baking soda and baking powder. As you can see, the mixture will foam.
That’s the first thing I do before creaming the butter and sugar. Just set it aside and continue with the recipe. You’ll add the eggs and vanilla, then the bananas. I like to use really brown ones, they are the most flavorful and easier to mix. Here’s a tip: Anytime you have brown bananas you aren’t using, just throw them in the freezer. Then it doesn’t go to waste. I use them for bread or smoothies.
This will make two large loaves. I will say that the cooking time varies. It might take one hour, or it could take 1 hour 15 minutes. Just make sure to keep an eye on it at about an hour. Enjoy and let me know what you think!
Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 TBSP sour cream
- 1 cup bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Less than 2 cups flour
- 1 bag of chocolate chips (12 oz)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the baking powder and baking soda with sour cream. Let sit, mixture should “foam”.
- In a mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar. Mix in eggs one at a time. Add bananas and vanilla. Add sour cream mixture. Slowly add flour. Once mixed, add chocolate chips.
- Pour into two bread pans (make sure to first coat with non-stick cooking spray). Bake for 1 hour. Check batter, may need to cook for an addition 15 minutes.